The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is taking applications for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships for Researchers in Canada in 2021.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program enables highly inspired and competitive researchers to attain their full prospect and develop their careers. Upon conclusion of their fellowships, Banting fellows will be well-positioned to add to the continued development of Canada’s research capacity and the nation’s economic and social prosperity.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program offers funding to the very best postdoctoral candidates, both nationally and internationally, who will positively add to the nation’s economic, social and research-focused growth.
The aim of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and keep top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and globally
- develop their leadership prospect
- place them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
At the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), they know that research has the power to transform lives. As Canada’s health research investment organization, they work with partners and researchers to back the discoveries and innovations that advance their health and strengthen their health care system.
CIHR was established in 2000 under the authority of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research Act. It is an autonomous agency and is answerable to Parliament via the Minister of Health. Their mission is to produce new scientific knowledge and to facilitate its translation into improved health, more efficient health services and products, and a reinforced Canadian health care system.
Comprised of 13 Institutes, CIHR offers leadership and support to health researchers and trainees all over Canada. CIHR is part of the Health Portfolio which aids the Minister of Health in upholding and advancing the health of Canadians.
Worth of Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- 70 fellowship programs are awarded yearly; around 140 awards are active at any time.
- They are worth $70,000 each year (taxable)
Eligibility for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Canadian nationals, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign nationals are qualified to apply, given they meet the following conditions:
- Candidates who are not Canadian nationals or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship award at a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are Canadian nationals or permanent residents of Canada and who got their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree program from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship award at a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are Canadian nations or permanent residents of Canada and who got their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree program from a Canadian institution may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship award at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
How to Apply for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Individual application credentials can be tendered in either English or French. If another language is needed to express a specific idea (e.g., specialized concept), be certain to offer an explanation in French or English.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is distinctive in its emphasis on the interaction between:
- the candidate – their individual merit and prospect to launch a successful research-focused career; and
- the host institution – their devotion to the research program and alignment with the institution’s planned priorities
A candidate to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program has to complete their application in full partnership with the proposed host institution.
|April to September 2021||Candidates seek approval from the host institution to apply, prepare and hand in an application (institutions may have internal closing dates).|
|September 22, 2021|
|Closing date for complete application submission|
|October to December 2021||Evaluation of applications|
|Mid-February 2022||Anticipated notification of results. Candidates will be informed by email when the results are accessible on ResearchNet.|
|April to October 2022||Payments begin|
The closing date for complete application submission is September 22, 2021 (20:00 EDT).
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Canada Scholarships here