Have you ever wondered if there are Cheap Universities in United States? The United States is one of the most famous destinations for scholars. In fact, in line with the Migration Policy Institute, about 1.1 million foreigners were registered at American universities and colleges in the 2019-2020 school session.
However, the United States isn’t exactly cheap. In reality, student debt is at an unprecedented high and tuition at top schools easily exceeds 50,000 or even 70,000 USD each year. So, should you just part with on your dream to study in the US?
In HSBC’s 2018 report, The Value of Education, the United States again appeared among the top choices for parents looking at university overseas for their child – but also one of the most expensive, with candidates spending an average of US$99,417 over the duration of their degree.
With majority of undergraduate degree programs at public schools costing $26,290 (in line with student support organization College Board), for many prospective candidates, schooling in the United States may seem about as practical as crashing at the White House while you look for a place to reside.
There are various Cheap Universities in United States that offer affordable — or even free — study programmes to international students. We have created two lists below with some of the cheapest Bachelor’s degrees and Master’s degree programs we could find in the United States.
Before going through our lists of Cheap Universities in United States, keep in mind a few things:
- We have created these lists of cheap universities in United States based on the programs and higher education institutions listed on certain educational websites. This implies that the lists don’t feature every single university, and you might be able to find other cheap universities in United States.
- To find an even bigger number of academic programs, you can go to the official website of your favorite university. You will find plenty of information about courses and costs there.
Cheap Universities in United States offering Bachelor’s degrees
- United States Military Academy at West Point, New York – Bachelors start at 0 USD/year
- Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia – Bachelors start at 0 USD/year
- South Dakota State University, South Dakota – Bachelors begin at 327 USD per year
- University of Arizona, Arizona – Bachelors start at 400 USD/year
- University of Central Florida, Florida – Bachelors begin at 749 USD per year
- University of the People, California – Bachelors begin at 990 USD per year
- Mercy College New York, New York – Bachelors start at 1,600 USD/year
- Western Michigan University, Michigan – Bachelors start at 1,920 USD/year
- West Virginia University, West Virginia – Bachelors start at 2,080 USD/year
- Cascadia Community College, Washington – Bachelors start at 2,320 USD/year
Cheap Universities in United States offering Master’s degrees
- University of Notre Dame, Indiana – Masters start at 0 USD/year
- Lynn University, Florida – Masters begin at 0 USD per year
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Maryland – Masters start at 0 USD/year
- Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine College-Berkeley, California – Masters begin at 660 USD per year
- Seattle Pacific University, Washington – Masters start at 712 USD/year
- DePaul University, Illinois – Masters start at 735 USD/year
- Colorado Mesa University, Colorado – Masters begin at 750 USD per year
- Hamline University, Minnesota – Masters start at 795 USD/year
- Murray State University, Kentucky – Masters begin at 800 USD per year
- Concordia University Wisconsin, Wisconsin – Masters start at 834 USD/year
Scholarships for international students in the US
The United States government doesn’t offer any form of financial assistance (loans, grants, scholarships) to foreign students. But many other institutions do! These include:
- public or private universities
- private foundations
- NGOs and non-profits
Although the government does not offer scholarship awards to foreign students, it offers a useful online tool to search for scholarship awards. You can also make use of the Education USA website to find other forms of financial assistance.
Find more articles on Student Resources here