Alexander von Humboldt Foundation welcomes applications for the International Climate Protection Fellowship program in 2021 which will be granted to young climate professionals from developing nations interested in carrying out a project in Germany and developing long-term partnerships.
The International Climate Protection Fellowship program allows you to carry out a one-year research-based project in Germany concentrating on tackling climate change, on adaptation strategies, on preserving ecosystems and biodiversity, or on the viable use of the oceans and seas. Sustainability topics involving natural resources, resource-efficient use or urban growth are also welcome.
They grant up to 15 International Climate Protection Fellowship awards to potential leaders and up to five to postdoctoral researchers every year. The fellowship programs are sponsored by means of the International Climate Initiative of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
Worth of Award
The International Climate Protection Fellowship program enables the mutual interchange of knowledge, methods and procedures with hosts in Germany; this also covers questions of practical applicability in your nation of origin. They offer you:
- a monthly fellowship award of €2,170, €2,470 or €2,670 in the program line for potential leaders – based on your training and career level; a monthly fellowship award of €2,670 in the program line for postdoctoral researchers
- personal support all through your stay in Germany
- further financial support, for example, for supplementary family members, for travel costs or for a German language program
- a three-week preliminary event where you can link up with other climate protection fellows, visit businesses and research institutions, and go to cultural events in Germany
- all-encompassing alumni sponsorship, particularly to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the period of your whole professional career
Eligibility for International Climate Protection Fellowship
As potential decision-makers and multipliers, you intend to take on the global issue of climate change via foreign, cross-border cooperation. They welcome you to apply for an International Climate Protection Fellowship if you;
- investigate questions in the natural or engineering sciences or tackle legal, economic, health-related or societal features of climate change
- are a national of a non-European developing or transition nation and have been primarily residing and working there
- finished your first academic degree (Bachelor or related degree) mot less than 12 years ago (cut-off date: 1 March of year of application)
- have prior experience in a leadership role and related leadership skills
- are a potential leader with extensive professional experience (minimum of 48 months at the period of applying)
- are a postdoctoral researcher with a successfully concluded doctorate in climate protection or climate-related resource preservation and have been published in academic journals and by academic publishers peer-reviewed to foreign criteria
- possess very good knowledge of English and/or German
How to Apply for International Climate Protection Fellowship
Prior to applying, you should settle the details of your autonomously developed research-based project with your selected academic host.
Please submit the required application papers to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- research-based project: Summarize the project you have come up with yourself and agreed with your prospective host before applying. Keep in mind that the following conditions are crucial for selection: a convincing choice of methods; concise focus and feasibility; significance to the areas of climate protection or climate-relevant resource preservation; feasibility of carrying out the project at the selected host institution; feasibility of the communication strategy
- extensive statement comprising validation of support from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not over 12 months old) from persons who can provide details on your professional, private and/or academic background
The online application form comprises links where the recommendation letters and statements can be submitted. Please send these links to the relevant persons as soon as possible.
Application Deadline: Application ends on March 1, 2021
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here