The Utrecht Excellence Scholarships is financed by the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, that is created by Utrecht University and by the donation of the Utrecht University former students.
Founded in 1636, the Utrecht University is one of the earliest public research institutions in the Netherlands. The university is famous globally for its pioneering, high-quality approach to research and teaching.
For the academic session 2021-2022, the Utrecht University provides around 25 Utrecht Excellence Scholarships to international exceptional candidates coming from nations outside the European Union, who are looking to take up a postgraduate study program at the university.
Utrecht Excellence Scholarships Information:
- Host University: The Utrecht University.
- Host country: Netherlands.
- Study Level: Masters.
- Scholarship Type: Tuition award.
- Scholarship Worth: 11,000 euro living costs.
- Eligible Countries: International.
- Application deadline: 31 January 2021 (23:59 CET)
Scholarship value and benefits:
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarships provides tuition fees or tuition fees plus 11.000 euro living expenses.
As this is not by default a full scholarship award, candidates may have to secure extra funding that will assist them fund their studies. Candidates who will be needing a residence permit in the Netherlands will need to prove to the Immigration and Naturalisation Office (IND) that they possess adequate financial means.
Eligibility for Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
To be suitable for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships, the candidates have to satisfy the following conditions:
- Candidates have to be among the top 10% of their graduating class;
- Candidates are required to present an official document issued by their university that shows they belong to the top 10% of their graduating class (reference letter, a letter signed and stamped by the institution, a class ranking documentation, etc).
- Candidates are required to not hold an EU/EEA passport;
- Candidates are required to be not qualified for aid under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Candidates are required to have concluded their high school and/or Bachelor degree outside the Netherlands;
- Candidates are required to have applied for an eligible international master’s program in The Utrecht University that will commence on 1 September 2021.
- Candidates should check here to see if the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships is stated as a scholarship opportunity;
- Candidates are required to meet the conditions to get a Dutch visa/residence permit.
The award selections are done on the basis of academic excellence and promise in the planned area of study, the significance of the motivation letter for the Master’s program, and the quality of the master’s degree application itself.
How to Apply for Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
- After applying for the Master’s program, candidates from nations outside the EU/EEA will have the chance to submit an application for a UES from 1 November.
- If the candidate didn’t submit an application for a master’s degree program at the university, his/her application for the scholarship award will be removed.
- After submitting an application for the master’s program, candidates can go to the Osiris Online Application and sign in using their Osiris Username and password, click on New application” and respond to the scholarship questions and submit their scholarship application.
Eligible applicants are chosen for Utrecht Excellence Scholarships on the basis of the following conditions:
- Academic distinction and prospect in the planned field of study;
- The academic quality and grades of foregoing qualifications, as demonstrated by proof of being in the top 10% of the class, grades, a writing sample, test scores, letters of reference;
- The quality and significance of the motivation letter for the Master’s degree program (intercultural and communication skills, academic content, personal drive);
- The quality of the application for the Master’s degree program itself (comprehensiveness, accuracy, consistency).
Prospective candidates who desire to be given consideration for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships must submit an application prior to 31 January 2021 (23:59 CET),after which the application website will be closed.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here