The Government of Canada welcomes applications for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) award program for 2020/21 academic session.
Candidates looking to apply for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship must confirm that the school to which they are putting in for doctoral education has a Vanier CGS quota. They should then notify the school that they desire to be given consideration for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship.
Candidates are in charge of getting in touch with the institution for additional information about choosing the appropriate federal granting agency, getting the relevant contact person within a department/faculty, and for counsel or questions related to content and how best to present the details in their application.
Worth of Award
$50,000 per year
Eligibility for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Canadian nationals, permanent residents of Canada and foreign nationals are qualified to be nominated for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship award.
- A candidate who has finished the Vanier CGS electronic application via ResearchNet have to hand in the application online to the Canadian institution that will be making their nomination. Applications cannot be sent straight to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship award program.
- Each candidate can only be nominated once. If more than one institution is planning to nominate an individual candidate for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship award, the candidate has to select one institution to send their nomination. Multiple nominations will not be taken.
- On the basis of its quota, the institution will send its nominations to the Secretariat.
- The institution is in charge of informing applicant if their application is not chosen for nomination to the Secretariat. The scheduling for this notification may differ by institution.
How to Apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Applications are started in one of two ways. Either:
- the candidate notifies the faculty of graduate studies at the chosen institution of their plan to apply to the Vanier CGS program; or
- the institution starts the nomination procedure by getting in touch with the desired application.
- Applications are arranged by the candidate and forwarded to the nominating institution by their internal closing date (set in ResearchNet by the nominating school) using the ResearchNet application platform.
- The nominating institution carries the internal applicant selection process.
- The nominating school sends endorsed nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat).
- The Secretariat directs the review process.
- The Secretariat shows the nominations to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee.
- The TAP Steering Committee ratifies and approves final choices for the Vanier CGS program.
- Nominated applicants are informed of the competition outcomes in April 2021.
- In ResearchNet, finish all tasks itemised for the Vanier CGS application.
- Preview your application in ResearchNet, with the use of the “Preview Application Materials” task, to make sure that your application is complete. Note: What you see previewed is precisely how your application will appear when submitted digitally to the Canadian nominating school and to the Vanier CGS program.
- Print the whole application.
- Save the PDF version of the whole, finished application.
- Hand in the finished electronic application via ResearchNet by filling out the “Consent and Submit Application” task. Note: The nominating school cannot accept your application until you finish this task.
There are two closing dates for the 2020-2021 competition:
- Institution internal closing date: Following the candidate’s identification in ResearchNet of the institution planned for PhD study (see Task 10), an additional closing date and time will be visible at the top of each page. This is the closing date by which your application has to be submitted to the institution through ResearchNet. This closing date is set and managed by each institution. You will not be able to submit your application beyond this exact date and time.
- Program closing date: Institutions have to forward their chosen nominations to the Vanier CGS program latest by November 3, 2020 (20:00 Eastern Time).
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here