Belgian Student Visa

Are you an international student looking to study in Belgium, and you are thinking about how to obtain the Belgian Student Visa?

Regarded by many foreign students as an exceptional place for studies, Belgium provides a broad multicultural environment and great academic chances, as the nation has a lot of top universities included in prestigious global rankings.

As a multilingual nation with various regions speaking French, Dutch and German, English is also broadly spoken in the big cities of Belgium and many university programs are delivered in this language.

If you want to school in Belgium, the exciting news is that not all foreign students need a Belgian Student Visa. Keep on reading this article to discover if you need a visa and how you can obtain it.

Apply to a Belgian School and get your Admission Letter

If you’re still not certain where you want to school in Belgium, you will have to make a decision before you can begin your Belgian Student Visa application procedure. After getting accepted at a university in Belgium, you’ll obtain an admission letter needed for the visa application.

Listed below are some of the most popular fields in Belgium:

  • Master’s degrees in Political Science in Belgium 
  • Master’s degrees in Economics in Belgium 
  • Master’s degrees in Electrical Engineering in Belgium 
  • Master’s degrees in Computer Sciences in Belgium 
  • Master’s degrees in International Business in Belgium 

Consider some of the best schools in Belgium:

  • University of Leuven
  • University of Antwerp
  • Ghent University
  • University of Liège
  • Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)

Discover what type of visa you require to study in Belgium

To study in Belgium, foreign students might require a visa and a residence permit. But how do you find out if you require a Belgian Student Visa or not? It is based on your nationality and the length of your program:

  • Candidates from the EU/EEA and Switzerland do NOT require a visa or a residence permit.
  • Non-EU/EEA candidates have to apply for a D visa if they plan to remain in Belgium for 90 days or less. If the duration of their program is longer, they have to put in for the D visa and they accompany it with an application for a residence permit.

When and where to apply for the Belgian Student Visa?

  • Submit application for a Belgian Student Visa at the local Belgium consulate or embassy in your home nation.
  • For a long duration student visa/residence permit, it is suggested that you make an appointment at the embassy a minimum of two months prior to your departure.
  • For a short duration visa, fix an appointment a minimum of 3 weeks prior to your departure.

Here is a list of Belgian embassies and consulates globally

Tips about the visa application in Belgium

  • Examine the opening hours for submitting a visa application.
  • At some consulates/embassies, you can submit an appointment online by sending an e-mail to the embassy and submit the needed documents. You will get an answer within the following 2 working days with a verification of your appointment.
  • Notify the embassy in the event you want to cancel or adjust your appointment.
  • The handling of your visa application can take between a few weeks to over 3 months based on your nationality, the duration of your program, and how many people put in for a visa. The earlier you begin your application, the better.

Required Credentials for the Belgian Student Visa Application

  • Passport (valid for another three months after the visa expires)
  • Two original visa application forms
  • Admission letter from a Belgian school (typically the original document plus two copies)
  • Copies of educational certificates
  • Cover/motivational letter
  • Evidence of adequate financial means to fund all your expenses during an academic year (670 EUR per month)
  • A medical certificate
  • A certificate of good demeanour (or the local equivalent) if you are above 21 (with fingerprinting)
  • Visa application fee (70 EUR for short duration visa and 210 EUR for long duration visa)

Other documents may be demanded by the embassy or consulate.

Find more articles on Student Resources here

Related Articles

Back to top button