The University of Edinburgh is providing the Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship award program in Scotland to foreign undergraduate candidates for the 2021/2022 academic year.
Established by the Edinburgh Town Council, the institution started out as a college of law using a portion of a legacy left by an alumnus of the University of St Andrews, Bishop Robert Reid of St Magnus Cathedral, Orkney. Through endeavours by the council and ministers of the city, such as John Knox’s successor James Lawson, the institution expanded in scope and became officially recognized as a college by a Royal Charter, approved by King James VI on 14 April 1582. This was extraordinary in newly Presbyterian Scotland, as older academic institutions in Scotland had been established through Papal bulls.
Created as the “Tounis College”, it began to accept students in October 1583. Instruction started under the charge of another St Andrews alumnus, theologian Robert Rollock. It was the fourth university in Scotland in a period when the richer and much more populated England had only two. The school was retitled King James’s College in 1617. By the 18th century, the institution was a foremost centre of the Scottish Enlightenment.
The University, as the centre of academic distinction, has an objective to offer the highest-quality research-focused teaching and learning; challenge the borders of knowledge, research and fields; enable their graduates and staff to be outstanding people equipped to address international challenges; advance good health, economic growth, cultural comprehension and social well-being.
Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship awards are obtainable to Mathematics students of exceptional ability from nations outside the European Union for the academic year.
Worth of Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship
- The Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship award in Scotland is valued £5,000 each year and is obtainable for the length of the program of study, subject to acceptable academic progress.
- A candidate is considered to have made Acceptable Progress in every year if there has been an official School decision of either “Progress” or “Conditional Progression”, without the candidate having to repeat a year.
- If a candidate does not make acceptable progress in any one year, the scholarship award will stop from that point onwards.
Eligibility for Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship
- Scholarship awards are granted to candidates from nations outside the European Union who are approved for full-time admission to an undergraduate degree program delivered by the School of Mathematics at the University of Edinburgh.
- The Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship award is not obtainable to candidates already enrolled on the program.
- It is also not obtainable to candidates studying Mathematics as component of a degree program hosted by another School within the University.
- Candidates must have applied to the University of Edinburgh via the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) but are not required to have obtained an offer in order to commence the scholarship award application process.
How to Apply for Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship
To get access to the scholarship award application platform, candidates are required to have put in for admission to the University of Edinburgh. Please be aware that, after the submission of an application for admission, it can take up to ten working days for all system checks to be concluded and for access to be given.
The online scholarship award application form is situated in EUCLID and can be obtained through MyEd, their web based information portal at https://www.myed.ed.ac.uk
When signing in to MyEd, you will required your University User Name and password. If you need assistance, please visit http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-systems/support-guidance
Notification of award
The date when candidates will be informed of the result of their application will be communicated soon. Please get in touch with UG Enquiries if you have any questions.
The closing date to apply for the Edinburgh Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship award in Scotland is 11:59 pm (23:59) GMT on March 31, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here