The Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF) is taking applications for the Liese Prokop Scholarship award for asylum seekers in the 2021/22 academic session.
About the ÖIF
The Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF) is an initiative of the Republic of Austria and an associate of the federal government in improving integration.
In its work, the ÖIF is aimed at
- Individuals eligible for asylum, individuals entitled to subsidiary protection and third-country citizens
- People with a migration background
- Institutions, organizations and multipliers in the integration, social and educational sectors
- Austrian society
The ÖIF was founded in 1960 by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BM.I) under the name “Refugee Fund of the United Nations”. The Hungarian crisis of 1956 and the associated wave of refugees made it clear that Austria needs an appropriate institutional framework to take care of refugees.
After it was separated from the BM.I in 1991, 2002 denoted a landmark in the history of the ÖIF. From this point on, the ÖIF’s performance profile was specifically expanded and since then the ÖIF has been jointly responsible for the implementation of the integration agreement. In this context, the ÖIF handles German exams across Austria at various language levels and evaluates German integration courses for ongoing quality assurance.
The Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF) supports committed students who are entitled to asylum and who are very successful in their studies, who do not receive any state funding in Austria and who need verifiable financial support for their studies, with the Liese Prokop scholarship. The Liese Prokop Scholarship supports the completion of the studies and entry into the Austrian labor market.
In addition to financial support, the scholarship also includes participation in a program of seminars, training courses and exchange meetings. The focus of the training program is on studying, preparing for the Austrian job market and getting to know Austrian culture and history. Seminars, workshops and excursions are organized. Particularly important this year: For most of the program items there are online alternatives that can be used if necessary. Involvement in the supporting program is mandatory and a crucial part of the scholarship award.
Worth of Liese Prokop Scholarship
- This is a full scholarship
Eligibility for Liese Prokop Scholarship
Students entitled to asylum,
- in extraordinary programs, which are getting ready for one or more complementary examinations (e.g. by attending a pre-study program), with a previous enrollment at a school or university of applied sciences in Austria prior to the age of 30,
- in the nostrification process
Which requirements have to be met?
- Valid notification of admission to a university or a technical college in Austria or valid notification of nostrification according to the Recognition and Assessment Act (AuBG)
- Verifiable required support for studies
- Willingness and sufficient time to regularly participate in offers, services and events of the ÖIF
- Proof of successful completion of the course (except for first-year students)
- Requirement for a scholarship for at least one academic year
How to Apply for Liese Prokop Scholarship
Step 1: Download the funding application here.
Step 2: Print out the funding application, fill it in completely and sign it.
Step 3: Send us your application, consisting of:
- Filled out and signed application for scholarship (see download area on website)
- Identity card (residence permit for those eligible for asylum, convention passport)
- Registration slip
- E-card (social security number)
- Asylum notice
- if already at hand: valid admission letter to a university or a technical college in Austria or a valid nostrification letter
An application for the Liese Prokop scholarship in the academic year 2021/22 is possible until June 4th, 2021.
The application can only be considered if all credentials are submitted in full and along with the signed application for funding.
Apply by email by June 4th, 2021
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here