Each year, the Swiss confederation provides the Swiss government excellence scholarships to foreign candidates who desire to study for free in Switzerland, so as to foster international exchange and research partnership between Switzerland and over 180 nations.
The selected applicants are selected by the federal commission for scholarships for foreign candidates, and it’s dedicated to foreign young researchers who have completed a master’s degree or Ph.D. as well as foreign artists who possess a bachelor’s degree.
Benefits of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
The Swiss government excellence scholarships cover the following:
- Research fund.
- Monthly stipend of chf1,920.
- Housing allowance (chf300).
- Free accommodation.
- Health insurance.
- Full tuition fees waiver.
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships Types:
Art scholarship awards are provided to art students who desire to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Art scholarship awards are provided for schooling at any Swiss university of the arts or conservatory. The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships is obtainable to students from a specific number of nations only.
The research scholarship award is for postgraduate researchers in any field (who have a master’s degree as a minimum) who desire to pursue their research or advance studies at the PhD or post-doctoral level in Switzerland.
Research scholarship awards are provided for research or schooling at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology. The considered applicants will only be those who were chosen by an academic mentor at one of these institutions.
The beneficiaries are chosen by the FCS based on three criteria:
- Applicant’s profile.
- The quality of the artistic work or the research project.
- Synergies and potential for further research cooperation.
Eligibility for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
- Applicants are required to have been in Switzerland for over one year at the start of the scholarship award.
- Applicants have to provide a letter from an academic host professor, together with their short CV at the selected Swiss university explaining why is she/he willing to oversee and supervise the research.
- Applicants should have a research proposal that includes a time frame.
- Candidate who has already profited from this scholarship award are not qualified to apply again.
How to Apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
Candidates need to send these documents to their local Swiss country embassies.
- A signed fcs application form with photos.
- A complete CV with a list of academic publications, awards, etc.
- A motivation letter of max. 2 pages.
- A complete research proposal of max. Pages, using entirely the FCS research proposal form, it has to be signed.
- Two recommendation letters from two different professors.
- Duplicates of credentials, grade sheets and qualifications with grades from hitherto attended universities.
- The FCS health certificate form signed.
- 2 copies of the applicant’s passport.
Applications are dependent on initial selection by the appropriate national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The selected applications are then evaluated by the FCS, which makes the final decision.
The FCS is comprised of professors from all Swiss state universities. Scholarship awards are granted on the basis of academic and scientific distinction.
The FCS will choose scholarship award beneficiaries for the 2021-22 academic sessions by the end of May 2021. Scholarship awards for the 2022-23 academic sessions will be publicized online from August 2021.
The Swiss government broadcasts this warning concerning fake advertisements for Swiss government scholarships forwarded by email or on social media. Scammers are proffering fake scholarships in an attempt to get their targets to transfer money (e.g. by maintaining that this money is needed for visa or social insurance expenses).
The FCS advises that candidates disregard these fraudulent offers and most of all do not send any money. The application procedure for a Swiss government scholarship award is free of charge.
- December 31, 2020.
The closing date varies from nation to nation but it is between September and December.
For more details, visit the official website HERE.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here